Sunday, January 23, 2011

To Manage or Not to Manage...

I've just been asked by a long-time friend of mine to manage a convenience store that he's thinking about leasing. I've got a total of about 8 years experience working in convenience retail but I've never managed a retail store. I've managed a produce department and I believe I did a great job at that (until the disgruntled ex-manager sabotaged me)(go ahead, Dave, laugh. You know who I'm talking about, haha)

Here's my dilemma...

I've just graduated (May '10) from college with my Associates in Applied Science degree in Respiratory Therapy. I worked my ass of to earn my degree and after 11 years I finally earned it. It was one of my proudest achievements aside from marrying my wife and having twin sons... The thing is, I want SO badly to be in my chosen field, but the positions just aren't open right now. I'm currently working at Domino's Pizza as a delivery driver but I only get between 20-30 hours a week and the drivers' pay has just been cut.

Do I bite the bullet and leave Domino's and manage this store for at least a year (it is a commitment type thing) or do I stay at Domino's and make a lot less money and hold out for a position in my field?

I don't know what the pay as manager would be yet but it would be more than I'm currently making. Possibly quite a bit more. The only thing is, I could not leave in 6 months of a position in my field came open. I guess if it paid as much as a RPT position it wouldn't be bad at all. No benefits though.

As manager I'd get to hire a full-time and a part-time employee. I'd work from 6:30am til 3pm or so. I'd do all the ordering and receiving, etc, etc... Wouldn't be a bad job.

I guess I need to talk to him about it some more. I'm leaning towards agreeing to accept the position mainly because my wife and twins deserve more money than I'm bringing in at the moment. Diapers and formula for twins are extremely expensive and we can barely afford to pay our bills right now as it is. Grocery shopping... what's that? I vaguely remember doing something like that in the past.........

So as I wrap up this digital, computerized spew-fest, I leave you with one question... What would YOU do?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Even though I am not a man I thought I would tell you "what I would do". I would take the management position at the store. a) more money, b) you could maybe do the pizza thing as well if the hours work out (not that you want to be away from the family that long) c) what's a year? It gives you time to look for your new job, find it, and work on applying. Just look at the past year, not much has changed, job wise....
    There is my 2 cents worth! Great new Blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tara. I always like hearing opinions. I really appreciate your input. Very good advice.

    ReplyDelete